An Initial Intake
The intake's purpose is to collect information on all of the tobacco users who call the quitline. The following information will be gathered:
- Name and contact information (address, phone numbers, e-mail address)
- Basic demographic information (these questions may be refused)
- Basic information about your tobacco usage (type, amount, length of time used)
- How soon you intend on quitting
- Type of service requested (support, referral, information only)
Should you decide to work with one of our coaches, you will need to complete an assessment. Think of the assessment as providing information to a healthcare provider when you are getting medical help. Your coach will take you through this process, and the information gathered will be used to help develop a quit plan. Topics discussed during the assessment are:
Making a Plan
- Your past quit attempts (don't worry if this is your first attempt)
- Your motivation for quitting
- Your support system
- Your environment
- Your triggers
- Brief medical history
Your coach will help you develop your quit plan, your "road map" to cessation. You need to be making the preparations for your cessation plan, your quit date, addressing your triggers, support, and your work plan. You may feel like the coach gives you "home work," but it is all to help you make those lifestyle changes that will make you more successful in the long run.
Setting a Quit Date
A quit date is the date that you will stop using tobacco completely. Setting a quit date is an important part of your quit plan because you need a target date, a date for change. Things to consider when setting a quit date:
We recommend that you set your quit date within the next 30 days to be motivated enough to be enrolled in the full support program with the Tobacco Quitline.
- How much time do you need to prepare?
- Do you want to choose a date of significance (i.e., birthday, anniversary, etc.)?
- Is it better to choose a date when you are not busy with work or family OR do you need those distractions?
- Do you need to quit during the week or over the weekend?
Your coach will check on your progress in your quit plan and discuss any difficulties or changes that are necessary as you prepare to quit and after you quit. You should expect session(s):
- Before your quit date
- On/around your quit date
- Shortly after your quit date to prevent relapse
Call 1-800-QUITNOW or 1-800-784-8669 Or For Free Online Support Click Here
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday - 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday - 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday - 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Sunday - Voicemail is available
Days of Operation
The Mississippi Tobacco Quitline is open Monday through Saturday except for recognized holidays: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving Day.